Visa and residence permit

If you are a citizen of the European Union, the European Economic Area, the Swiss Confederation,
Monaco or Andorra: no formalities are necessary. A valid identity card or passport is sufficient proof.
For other nationalities, a passport is required to enter France. Before your departure, make sure that your passport is valid until 6 months after the end of your stay.
Contact the French Embassy in your country.


Students who reside in one of the countries listed below are concerned by the "Studying in France" procedure. In addition to the ESDES admissions process, students must also make a specific request for enrollment with Campus France through the online platform by clicking HERE
This procedure is mandatory in the following countries and regions: Algeria, Argentina, Benin, Brazil, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Chile, China, Colombia, Comoros, Congo, Côte d'Ivoire, Egypt, Gabon, Guinea, Haiti, India, Indonesia, Iran, Japan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Madagascar, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mexico, Morocco, Peru, Russia, Senegal, Singapore, South Korea, Syria, Taiwan, Togo, Tunisia, Turkey, United States, Vietnam.

Your acceptance to the School is contingent upon the acceptance of your application with Campus France and/or the French embassy/consulate.


If you live in an EU country but are not a citizen of any EU country, you will have to apply for a student visa at the French embassy/consulate in the country in which you reside. If the CEF (Campus France) procedure is used in your country of origin, you do not have to return there in order to apply for admission to a French institution of higher education.
You should begin your request for a visa as soon as you have received your acceptance package (Certificate of Enrolment, Acceptance Letter), as in some countries there are long waiting lists in order to obtain an appointment. However, you are advised to not get an appointment with an embassy earlier than 3 months before your arrival in France. ESDES does not accept late arrivals; if you do not obtain your visa on time, your enrollment will be delayed until the following semester. (If your visa request is denied, please note that ESDES cannot influence visa procedure).


Along with your visa, you might receive a document named “VISA LONG SÉJOUR – DEMANDE D’ATTESTATION OFII”. It is very important for you to take this form with you because you will need it to validate your visa in France. Normally, before your visa is validated you cannot leave France. The University collaborates with OFII, so we do help students with the visa validation process. The international student support team will help you to fill in the form upon arrival.


The staff will assist you with visa renewal during your studies at ESDES.
If you need to renew your visa, you will need to make an appointment with the University’s International Relations Office within the last 2 months before the expiration of your visa. We will provide you with a list of supporting documents prior to your appointment. Once your application has been approved by our team, you will be given a personal appointment at the Préfecture du Rhône to renew your residence permit.

Temporary resident Permit (APS)

At the end of your studies and after obtaining a degree of French higher education, depending on your country, you can request a Temporary Resident Permit called "APS" (Autorisation provisoire de séjour) to look for work or start a company.

If you need any more information regarding visa applications or renewals or temporary resident permit after graduation (depneding on your home country), please contact: Haike MARECHAL 


Student Recruitment Regional Officer in Vietnam


English-speaking Student Recruitment Officer

Whatsapp : +33 65 88 45 200

French-speaking Student Recruitment Officer

WhatsApp : +33 6 69 30 59 00

Admissions Department

Registration Department

Exchange Students