You are here : en / Study in Lyon / Housing / Housing subsidies

Housing subsidies

Renting in France and especially in Lyon can be rather expensive, so the CAF (Caisse d'Allocations Familiales) - run by the French government – gives subsidies (Allocation Logement) to people who need it the most, in order to help them pay for their rent. Only the CAF decides how much money is given and whose application will be accepted.
In many cases the CAF offers aid to international students who meet the following 3 criteria:
  • students who have their name on a rental contract in France,
  • students with a low income or whose parents earn a low income,
  • students who :
a) are citizens of the European Union and who have their EU health card (Carte Européenne d’Assurance Maladie)
b) are citizens of other countries and who have validated their long stay visas with OFII

Students can only apply once they are in Lyon, it is not possible to apply before one’s arrival in France or before the rental contract has started. The application will be done online and The Student Service Office will provide you more information needed after your arrival to France.

For more information you can contact

The Student Service Office
Phone: 0033 4 72 32 51 73, 0033 4 26 84 52 02
Address: 10, place des Archives, 69002 Lyon
Opening hours: Monday- Friday, 9.00am -12.30pm / 1.30pm – 5.00 pm